Tipperary Education and Training Board was formed in July 2013 following the amalgamation of North Tipperary and South Tipperary VECs. Following the formation of the county wide education and training statutory body, it was decided to form a Sport and Cultural Council in January 2014. The Council comprised of Mr. Gerry McGill (Scoil Ruain, Killenaule); Ms. Brigid Harmon (Newport College); Mr. PJ O’Connell (Coláiste Mhuire, Thurles) and Mr. John McCarthy (Coláiste Dún Iascaigh, Cahir). The aim was to organise competitions between the Tipperary ETB schools to give them the platform to display their talents and create their own identity.
So far in 2014, competitions have been held in TETB Schools listed below in Hurling, Football, Ladies Football, Camogie, Soccer, Table Quiz, Creative Writing, Basketball but it is the Talent Search competition that has really captured the imagination of the entire county:
- Borrisokane Community College, Borrisokane
- Coláiste Chluain Meala, Clonmel; CTI Clonmel & Gaelcholáiste Chéitinn, Clonmel
- Coláiste Dún Iascaigh, Cahir
- Coláiste Mhuire,Thurles
- Coláiste Phobal Ros Cré,Roscrea
- Comeragh College, Carrick-on-Suir
- Nenagh College, Nenagh
- Newport College, Newport
- Scoil Ruain, Killenaule
- Ailbe’s School, Tipperary Town
- Joseph’s Special School, Ferryhouse
- Templemore College of Further Education
The Talent Search Competition was launched in the Schools in October 2014. This competition is very much in its infancy, this being the very first year of the competition and TETB schools were invited to enter acts under two categories: Junior involving students from First to Third Year and Senior involving students from Transition Year to PLC. The semi-finals took place in December 2014, North Tipperary held their semi-final on the 4th of December and South Tipperary held theirs on the 11th of December. The idea being that there would be equal representation from both North and South Tipperary in the finals.
The Talent Search Junior and Senior finals were held on the evening of Wednesday 21st January, 2015 in Coláiste Dún Iascaigh, Cahir. Six acts from the various schools qualified for each final, they were as follows:
Junior Final Acts:
- Siobhan Phelan, Irish Dancer from Nenagh College;
- Leah Murphy from Coláiste Dún Iascaigh Cahir sang I Am Yours by Ella Henderson;
- A Contemporary Irish Dance Act from Borrisokane Community College;
- Cáit & Madhbh de Barra from Gaelcholáiste Cheitínn, Clonmel performed I Miss You by Blink 182;
- Ava Lawrence, Irish Dancer from Scoil Ruáin, Killenaule;
- Orla Cleary from Coláiste Phobal, Roscrea played a medley of songs on the tin whistle.
Senior Final Acts:
- “Up the Road”, Musical Group from St. Ailbe’s, Tipperary Town performed “Roll Away Your Stone”;
- Musical Chorus from Coláiste Dún Iascaigh, Cahir sang “At The End of the Day” from Les Miserables;
- Eoin Hobbs from Coláiste Phobal, Roscrea played a medley of songs on the Piano;
- Leah Rooney from Nenagh College sang Clown by Emile Sande;
- Louise Ryan from Borrisokane Community College played a medley of songs on the Piano;
- Jessica Brett from Scoil Ruáin, Killenaule performed You Found Me by The Fray
An array of talent was displayed in the areas of Irish dance, solo singing, piano playing, tin whistle playing, music groups – singing and playing musical instruments, the talent was phenomenal which left the four judges with a very difficult job to adjudicate and decide on who would be placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category. The four judges tasked with the decision making were Jean Downey (Irish Academy of Music and Dance, University of Limerick); Johnny B (Johnny B and the Boogie Men); John Bermingham (Local Musician and Proprietor of Crocanoir) and Michael O’Donoghue (Vice President and Director). The performers were marked under the following headings: Style & Interpretation, Stage Presence, Audience Interaction, Creativity, Timing and Overall Performance. The following were announced winners on the night by the Master of Ceremonies for the evening Mr. Liam Molumby.
1st: Ava Lawrence, Irish Dancer from Scoil Ruáin, Killenaule;
2nd: Orla Cleary, tin whistle player from Coláiste Phobal, Roscrea;
3rd: Leah Murphy, Solo Singer from Coláiste Dún Iascaigh Cahir.
1st: Eoin Hobbs, Piano Player from Coláiste Phobal, Roscrea;
2nd: Les Miserables Musical Chorus from Coláiste Dún Iascaigh, Cahir;
3rd: Up the Road, Musical Group from St. Ailbe’s, Tipperary Town;
Presentations were made to the winners by the Tipperary ETB Chief Executive Ms Fionuala McGeever and the Tipperary ETB Chairperson Cllr. John Hogan.
Congratulations to all of the performers who participated in the Tipperary ETB Talent Search Competition for 2014/15. Thank you to those who attended and supported the evening including Tipperary ETB members, staff from Tipperary ETB Schools and Offices and friends and families of the performers. Thank you to everyone who was involved in arranging this wonderful competition and making it a huge success under the guidance and leadership of the Chair of the Sports and Cultural Council Mr. Gerry McGill.
Please visit our Tipperary ETB YouTube Channel to see videos of each of the acts https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaLsbNH0Jj5MkuFUHKiAuBA
Donal Designs Photography
Contact: Donal O Brien (086-8427932) / (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please email email@example.com with your Name and Contact Number if you wish to purchase prints of any of these photographs.