The Adult Learning Scheme is co-funded by the Irish Government, the European Social Fund and the Youth Employment Initiative as part of the ESF Programme for Employability Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.
The Adult Learning Service is a confidential basic adult education service for those whose skills range from very low-level literacy and language skills to those who want to improve their basic skills.
Learners are given opportunities to work towards accreditation at NFQ levels 1, 2 or 3. (NFQ means National Framework of Qualifications).
English language learners are given the opportunities to work towards accreditation at CEFR levels A2 and B1 (CEFR means the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
Our priority is to help adults with primary education or less and whose literacy and numeracy skills are below level 3 on the NFQ. Our adult literacy courses are primarily for adults who:
- have low skills in reading/ writing and/or numeracy
- want to improve reading, writing, numeracy and oral skills
- want help with grammar and spelling
- want help with numeracy
- want to improve their skills to help children with homework
- want to learn basic computer skills
- want to get a qualification at NFQ levels 1, 2 and 3
Our Skills for Work courses are available to participants who have old or outdated skills, including those up to Leaving Certificate, and who:
- would like to upskill in IT
- would like to upskill in Communication Skills
- would like to upskill in Language Skills
- would like to upskill in Maths
- would like to gain a qualification at NFQ levels 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Our ESOL classes are available to participants who have English language skills below B1 on the Common European Framework and who:
- Would like to upskill in reading, writing, listening and speaking in English.
- Would like to gain accreditation at NFQ levels 1,2,3 and 4 or A2, B1 on the CEFR.
- An informal assessment is carried out with the learner before tuition begins.
- Learning takes place in small groups.
- Learners can receive up to 8 hours tuition per week and programmes are designed around the learners’ needs.
The National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ)
The NFQ can help you make the decision about which level of course is right for you. It can make it easier for you to compare qualifications you have and what you are working towards. This can be very helpful when you are thinking about further learning or going into employment, whether that’s here in Ireland and abroad. You can also visit the website www.qqi.ie
The Common European Framework for Reference of Language Learning – (CEFRL)
The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, often referred to as CEFR is an international standard for working out your ability within a language. It was established by the Council of Europe and aims to validate language ability. The six levels within the CEFR are A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 and C2. You can also visit the website www.coe.int
For more information about QQI and CEFRL, you can talk to your Tutor as well as the staff in the Adult Guidance and Information Service.
Access Online Lessons
Click here for access to our Adult Learning lessons
|North Tipperary||South Tipperary||County Wide|
|Ester Mackey||Mary Roche Cleary||Lavinia English
|Adult Literacy Organiser||Adult Literacy Organiser||Adult Literacy Organiser|
|067 31845||052 6127543||0504 20384|
|Brian Donnelly||Lillian Hahessy||David Golden
|Resource Worker||Resource Worker||Resource Worker for ESOL and SFW|
|087 7807579||087 9025144||085 875 0419|
|Mary Jo Kennedy-Deegan||Peter Cleary||Alan Tobin|
|Resource Worker||Resource Worker||Resource Worker for the Refugee Resettlement Project|
|087 3518221||086 0437260||087 754 9062|
|Nicola O Carroll||Louise Mulcahy||Kathleen Broderick
|067 31845||052 6127543||087 754 9062|